Thursday, March 14, 2013

Making life interesting!

I can never seem to stop complicating my life! Lol. Since I am limited in my physical movements - with my vascular disease, I'm always looking for things I can do while remaining in a reclined position. When I was a little girl, I learned needlepoint from my great-grandmother. I will never forget my first craft - a French knot outline of a kitten. I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but my great-grandmother kept it until she passed away. This past Christmas I was playing around with ideas for gifts. We've always made our gifts. I came upon the idea of making doilies. I had never done such small crochet knot work. In fact, I had always preferred knit because when working crochet I always seemed to twist the string of knots. But I learned that with doilies you're almost always working in the round, which prevents twisting. So I gave it a try. My first doily was a nightmare, it took hours and hours to make the smallest round. But I quickly caught on after a couple of days. Now I'm hooked! (Get it? Crochet, hooked? Lol!)

My doilies were such a hit, that I received several commissions. I guess everyone loved that I would make doilies in whatever color the client wanted. So I'm busy crocheting my little fingers off making doilies. Since Christmas I've made about 6. The one I'm working on now is so cute. It has 13 butterflies around the border. I'm so excited, and exhausted! Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment