Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chores Galore

I can't tell you how often I'm asked how I do it all: homeschooling, personal training, teaching sign language, and now starting a karate school - as well as normal mom stuff - cooking, cleaning, organizing, etc.

The truth is I'm a total type A personality. Things have to be organized or I start to go slightly insane - this means setting schedules, goals, and acknowledging achievements. You can't possibly do everything. This took me some time to acknowledge. I want to do it all - be the Super Mom...but I've realized juggling too many balls just means I'm missing something (or getting bit$$$ with the family unit).

My solution? DELEGATE! That's right. My boys are now 8 and 5 - totally old enough IMO to have certain chores assigned to them. My darling husband is considerably older, and I firmly believe having a 9-5 job doesn't disqualify him from the chore list either. I guess I run my house like an army unit - but it keeps us from running around in circles.

DJ (just turned 8) Chore List:
  • Clean the litter box 2 times a week
  • Help take out the garbage
  • He's on the dish washing rotation (they each take turns)
  • Clean room
  • Tidy living room - homeschooling clutter every evening
  • Put away pantry items after grocery shopping
  • Occasionally makes lunch (PB & J)
  • Transfer clothes from washing machine to the dryer
  • Mini-vac the bedrooms

Xman (5 y/o) Chore List:

  • Dish washing rotation
  • Help take out the garbage
  • Clean room
  • Help tidy living room
  • Put away pantry items after grocery shopping
  • Put clothes in the washing machine (we have separate baskets for each load)
  • Mini-vac the living room

Hubby Chore List:

  • Dish washing rotation (his job is all the pots and pans)
  • Help coordinate the garbage brigade
  • Tidy the kitchen
  • Help with the laundry - folding & putting away
  • Occassionally make dinner (if it's been one of 'those' days)
  • Help tidy our room

My Chore List:

  • Make dinner (and lunch, and breakfast..lol)
  • Clean bathroom
  • Help with the laundry
  • Sweep & mop
  • Make sure all homeschooling bins, baskets and such are labeled clearly so the kids can clean up after school each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment